Marking one year since the murder of George Floyd

Today, May 25, 2021, marks one year since George Floyd was murdered while in the custody of Minneapolis police officers. My prayers go out today to Mr. Floyd's family and to all those who were affected by his murder.

The conviction of the former officer who killed Mr. Floyd is a step forward. But it is only one of many steps that need to be taken.

A year later, I am forced to admit that I can do more to demand justice. I watched the trial of Floyd's killer as much as I was able. But the violence continues. I cannot keep track of all the police killings. I try to remember all the names. But I notice them when they are reported, and I try to stop and take a moment to feel it, and to imagine what that family is going through. I do the same when police officers are killed doing their lawful duty the protect the public from violent citizens.

My church had a guest minister this past Sunday, a black man who grew up in a poor Detroit neighborhood. An amazing poet, musician and activist. Yet I still know white people who routinely celebrate and spread memes on the internet that portray black men as criminals, who would see the amazing man who spoke to our congregation as someone deserving to be shot. These people say they believe in Jesus but they don't know what they are talking about. Anyone who does not have compassion for someone simply because of the color of their skin is not following divinity, let alone modeling it.

Many more television commercials have people of color in them than a year ago. So many that if an ad does not include at least one person of color, I notice it. And if a political ad does not include people of color, I really notice that. What does it say when a candidate talks about law and order and only white people appear in their TV commercials? More police killings of people of color.

When sports figures take a knee in support of those who have died at the hands of systemic racism, I notice that too. I am thankful that many sports leagues have supported these efforts.

Our country is coming out of the pandemic with a lot of mental health issues. Violence has expanded to include hate attacks against many different groups. It needs to stop. Violence is not the answer. Love and compassion are the only answers that will get us through these challenging times.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After the heart attack

Shield of the Goddess - Book Idea and Sample Chapter